Thunderbird / Seahawks
Create a sports anthem inspired by the Native American story of the Seahawks logo, the Thunderbird.
This is a fantastic venture into social studies and how we can honor the Native American culture. Appropriation of cultures is something worth discussing among our youth, and learning how to honor and learn from those cultures who are most vulnerable.
This program is a partnership between STYLE and Storyteller Roger Fernandes.
We’ll hear stories of Thunderbird, a common character across Native American cultures. We’ll learn about the Thunderbird Transformation mask from where the Seattle Seahawk’s logo was inspired. We’ll explore music and anthems that have been tied to sports, and then create and record a song inspired by the whole experience.
The Thunderbird / Seahawks Program Includes:
- STYLE teaching artist(s)
- Native American Storytelling (Roger Fernandes when available)
- Cross-curricular lessons in social studies, critical thinking and musical concepts
- Scaffolded for children of all ages.
- Password protected web page for each class
- Recording of creation (Mp3 download made available on each class’s STYLE webpage)